Chia seeds are considerably one of the healthiest and potent nutritional powerhouses that Mother Nature has given to the human kind. The tiny small black seeds pack many high-quality nutrients that not only help boost one’s health but also promote healthy living as well. One of the most interesting things about chia seeds is that, they can be taken in almost any form; you can grind them to make flow, soak them to make a gel, or even more fascinatingly, sprout them.
These seeds are very easy to digest meaning anyone; even your nine-month-old child will greatly benefit from nutrients found in these tiny seeds. If you are wondering how these tiny seeds have earned themselves a name on the market today, then discussed below are some of the health benefits and nutritional value of the same.
15 Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds
1. Chia Seeds Are Rich In Dietary Fiber: Dietary fiber is very important especially in the human body. Dietary fiber is vital for the digestive system as it aids digestion as well as regulating absorption of food nutrients into the blood stream.
Chia seeds pack both soluble and insoluble fiber, which is an added benefit especially for those suffering from indigestion, flatulence, and irritable bowel syndrome. Soluble fiber regulates the absorption of food nutrients while insoluble fiber promotes movement of food materials along the digestive tract. It is estimated that, one cup of chia seeds constitutes of 12 grams of high-quality dietary fiber.
2. Rich In Proteins: Chia seeds make a healthy energy drink for body builders, athletes and anyone who needs a post and pre-workout energy boost. This because chia seeds pack high-quality proteins that are not only easy to digest, but also boost up to 137 calories per serving. This means taking a cup of soaked or sprouted chia seeds boosts your performance in the field or at work, and doesn’t put your body at the risk of respiring tissues to produce energy. It is for this reason most body builders love this natural-healthy energy and protein boost.
3. High In Omega Fatty Acids: If you thought that the only source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids is seafood alone, you are wrong. Chia seeds pack more omega 3 fatty acids that most of the fish on the market today. According to research, chia seeds pack 4900mg of omega 3 fats. Omega fatty acids are essential for healthy body development as they not only act as antioxidants but also alleviate pressure on joints, fight inflammation and most importantly, boost one’s immunity. If you can’t stand common colds and flu, then your immunity level may be too low, and adding chia seeds to your diet plan could help significantly.
4. Calcium Content: Calcium is one of the most important minerals in the body as it promotes healthy, strong bones and teeth. Calcium is also needed for colon health as it helps fight colon cancer and obesity as well. According to research, a cup of chia seeds provides your body with more than 18% of its calcium Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA). Without calcium in your body, you would be losing your teeth every day and be unable to handle even the simplest tasks. Adding chia seeds to your meal plan is therefore recommended.
5. Chia Seeds Induce Weight Loss: Although packed with many vital and essential nutrients for the human body, chia seeds also help induce weight loss especially for obese and overweight persons. The high fiber content in chia seeds is one of the reasons for the induced weight loss.
These fibers expand by absorbing water and fluids in the stomach thus inducing a full feeling. The slow-digesting carbs also helps keep body organs fueled meaning the brain doesn’t induce hunger feeling until several hours later. This limits how much food you can eat in a sitting, meaning you only get to eat a small meal per sitting.
6. Helps Control Diabetes: Most health practitioners recommend chia seeds for diabetics. This because chia seeds help in controlling blood sugar by first inducing a satiation effect. As long as one feels full, he/she will not eat uncontrollably thus reducing carbs and glucose intake.
In addition to this, chia seeds pack excellent volumes of soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber is an excellent remedy for controlling blood sugar while insoluble fiber limits food intake per sitting. It is by controlling blood sugar that diabetics can lead normal lives and never worry about sugar spikes or insulin intolerance.
7. Chia Seeds Are An Excellent Remedy For Constipation And Flatulence: Many people today live on fast and factory processed foods. Although these foods may be yummy, they lack one vital constituent in every meal, fiber. Fiber content in processed foods is very low which increases the risk of suffering from flatulence and constipation. Some people go for days without passing stool, which means their risk of contracting IBS is very high. Chia seeds however pack dietary fiber and omega 3 fatty acids that help treat and prevent constipation. Adding chia seeds to your meals would therefore be a good idea.
8. Helps Lower Bad Cholesterol Levels: According to research, chia seeds have the key ingredient needed to lower LDL levels in the blood. LDL cholesterol is the main culprit behind blood pressure and cardiovascular infections.
One interesting thing about the tiny chia seeds is that, they help raise HDL levels in the blood. HDL is considered the good cholesterol that promotes cardio health and improves one’s performance. If this doesn’t make chia seeds to be as a super food, then what will.
9. Chia Seeds Are An Excellent Energy Booster: As mentioned above, chia seeds pack good volumes of omega 3 fatty acids, proteins, and slow-digesting carbohydrates.
The secret behind slow digesting carbohydrates is that, it keeps the body refueled all day long, meaning you get the much-needed energy supply to keep body organs going. In addition to this, chia seeds can be soaked in water and taken as a gel. The gel keeps body cells hydrated all day long while the omega fatty acids reduce inflammation and pressure on joints.
10. Mood Boosting Capabilities: With the pressing hard economic times, many people spend most of their time at work and trying to make more money. These people rarely get enough sleep or rest for that matter. Nonetheless, tryptophan commonly found in turkey is also abundant in chia seeds as well. Tryptophan is a compound widely appreciated for its capability to make one sleep like a baby and relax.
What many people do not know is that tryptophan is also an excellent natural mood booster. If your performance at work has been dropping steeply, maybe it is time to try something new and eat some chia seeds. This the reason why anyone who eats chia seeds for breakfast spends the rest of the day happy and smiling all the time.
11. Packed With Antioxidants: According to research, chia seeds are excellent sources of potent antioxidants that not only help your body fight free radicals, but also reduces cancer risk. Most interestingly, researchers believe that the rich antioxidants in these tiny seeds are what preserves it over the counter for more than 5 years without needed any preservative.
These antioxidants do more than just expunge toxins from body cells; they also promote smooth skin, prevent colon cancer and help treat irritable bowel syndrome as well. This a reason enough to trust in chia seeds for detoxing and healthy living.
12. Boosts Cardio Health: By inducing HDL production in the body and lowering LDL, the heart benefits significantly. HDL helps regulate blood pressure thus reducing the risk of stroke or other cardio infections. Aside from this, chia seeds also induce a satiation effect, which reduces one’s ability to eat more food thus losing weight.
Losing weight is one of the most recommended natural ways of caring for your heart health. The rich proteins, omega 3 fatty acids, fiber content and minerals found in chia seeds are what make them the perfect remedy for good cardio health. This the reason why you are advised to include chia seeds in your grocery-shopping list the next time you go shopping.
13. Rich In Vitamins C, D, B, And E: Most of these vitamins can be in fruits. Nonetheless, chia seeds have defied the odds as they are very good sources of Vitamins D, C, B and E. These vitamins are by the body for various functions such as for cell health, boosting vision, skin health and for detoxing. With many people focusing so much on fast foods, very few of them find time to eat a fruit. Nonetheless, adding a spoonful of chia seeds in your morning milk or breakfast does the trick as it supplements your body with all these vitamins.
14. Chia Seeds Are Easy To Incorporate Into Any Diet Plan: This should be considered as a health benefit of chia seeds in that, they can be with virtually any food you have. The reason for this is that chia seeds are almost tasteless meaning you never have to be worried about the flavor and taste of your food. Chia seeds can be in pudding, milk, can be used as breadcrumbs, and in smoothies as well.
15. Chia Seeds Are Gluten-Free: If you are afraid of gluten in foods, you then never have to worry about that with chia seeds. This because Chia seeds contain no gluten and are very safe to eat. This the reason why most people today use chia seeds to make breadcrumbs and in most of their meals to reap healthy benefits that come from the same.
Whether you are a looking for the right food to help manage diabetes, want to lose weight, improve cardio health or just want to remain fit, chia seeds are what you need. The tiny seeds will not only give you an energy boost but also help keep your body hydrated all day long. In addition to this, chia seeds promote healthy living by inducing weight loss, regulating blood sugar and boosting HDL levels in the body as well.
Although a superfood, chia seeds are readily available over the counter, in grocery stores, supermarkets and hypermarkets among other places. If you can’t find any, you can still order online and have the package delivered to your doorstep. You never have to continue worrying about fast foods and being unable to lose weight; just add chia seeds in your meals and see the difference.